Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Back home again

It's been almost two months since my last blog post and I'm happy to share that I am finally home!  I was in hospital for over two months and it was a hard, hard slog.  Here are some things I learnt while recuperating:

1. I understand why reality TV contestants spend so much time talking about their 'journey'.

It's sounds very cliche, but my time in hospital felt like a personal journey or quest, like heroes took in mythology.  I think it feels like a journey because so much life-changing stuff happens in such a short time.  Five days after my accident, my entire day's tasks consisted of sitting up, sitting on the end of the bed for five minutes then lying down again.  To complete this task took almost an hour and involved tears, painkillers and much much pain.  Every time I stand up unassisted now I remember all the hard work it took to get me here and I thank my lucky stars that I have made it as far as I have.  It's only been three months but I feel like a different person because of the 'journey' I have been on ;)

2. You find out who your real friends are.

Some of my friends are superstars and some of them will never hear from me again.  I'm glad this happened so I know who my real friends are :)

3. Appreciate your freedom.

Even now three months after the event I still can't do what I want to do whenever I want to.  I can't drive or walk very far yet, so most outings involve taxis and wheelchairs and working around other people's schedules.  I miss the freedom to do what I want when I want.  The thing is, for me it's only a matter of time until I have it back again.  For some people, a simple accident means the freedom to do what they want when they want is lost forever.  

4. My cat may have missed me a little bit (maybe) but she loves the present I brought her back from the hospital.


I'm glad to be back!

0 comments:

Post a Comment