Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Rescuing a dog: my good deed of the day

On Thursday last week I went swimming. It was a wet, cold and miserable day and on the way home I drove like a 92-year-old grandmother with sight problems (ie very slowly and carefully while constantly peering over my steering wheel) because the road was slippery and other drivers were driving much too fast given the conditions (Hooligans! You stay of off my lawn *shakes fists*). In the distance, I noticed a very wet dog running back and forth across the street. There was no human anywhere with a leash so I figured the poor thing was lost but I didn't know what to do about it - I'm a cat person! I didn't have a leash or anything that I could use to tie the dog up and prevent it from running on the road and getting hit by a car but if I knew that if I drove off and left it there I would spend the whole day worrying about it ... So I pulled over, opened my car door and whistled.


It worked! He jumped in, shook himself to get rid off the excess water (and, I discovered later, the mud - there are mud spatters all over my car including the ceiling!) and installed himself in the front seat in front of the heaters. I called the council, who sent a lovely, friendly woman to come and pick him up. He was microchipped so they were able to call his family and I'm sure he was safely installed at home very shortly (hopefully a better secured home than the one he was able to escape from!). 

Good deed of the day done I drove home (slowly and carefully, of course) and walked inside very pleased by myself. Lucy smelt me, determined that I had been spending time not only with an animal who wasn't her but a dog (!!!!) and peed on my swimming towel while I was in the shower. Stupid, adorable little cat :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment