Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Dan Lepard's easy white bread

Every time I looked out of the window today, all I saw was dreary grey. It felt like it did not stop raining from the moment I woke up - it was certainly too wet for either me or Lucy to go outside. So, what was left for me to do but warm up the house by doing some baking?


The recipe I used was Dan Lepard's easy white bread. I borrowed his book The Handmade Loaf from the library with the aim of developing my bread-baking skills further, only to discover that anything other than the most basic recipes was completely over my head. Simple it is, then, and it doesn't get much more simple than this - this dough doesn't need anything but the most basic work. Consequently, it doesn't have a lot of depth of flavour but its ease of construction means that I will definitely be making it again. I also think it would be a fantastic vehicles for other flavours - I think my next one will be garlic and parmesan (or rosemary and garlic or capsicum and cheese...).

Freshly made bread may not make the rain go away or the winter gloom lift but it does make it a bit easier to get through the long gloomy days (plus, my house smells completely awesome!).

0 comments:

Post a Comment