Thursday, May 15, 2014

FO Friday (2014 FO #7): Where's Wally socks

As much of a cliche as it is, one of the hardest things for me to do when going on holiday is to decide what knitting to pack. I tend to spend more time on that than I do on my clothes. Think about it - it is possible to buy new clothes pretty much anywhere that humans live, but yarn stores are rarely spotted in the wild, especially in tropical warm destinations. 


This time, I decided to make the daring move of only taking one project, thus forcing me to only work on one thing at a time and meaning that, at the end of the holiday, I end up with a holiday knit that reminds me of the fun time I had every time I look at them.


And it worked! These lovely socks are the result. Choosing a simple two-row striped pattern (60 stitches, 2.5mm needles) with a flap-and-gusset heel meant that I didn't need to carry around a pattern and guaranteed that I would have stress-free knitting.


I used some Bilby Yarns Western Dream sock wool that I have had in the stash for about seven years (!!!). It's delightful and woolly but it did shrink when I washed the socks, which I would have discovered if I'd knitted a swatch and washed it (seriously, does anyone ever swatch for socks?). I have no-one to blame but myself that these are now a little small. I don't mind, though - they're so warm and comfortable, the incorrect sizing doesn't seem to be much of an issue. I think maybe the finished socks look a little bit "Where's Wally" but I don't mind. They'll keep my tootsies warm and remind me of a happy holiday I had every time I look at them :)


And, because I can, a sleeping Lucy. Awwww!!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment